I'm just a girl, sitting in front of a computer, asking you to read this.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Summer Drinks: Tinto de Verano


After three weeks of baking, we're doing something a little different this week. Annelih, Rhi and I decided to do recipes for summer drinks! Now, I'm not the greatest at making mixed drinks, so I decided to go with something simple and delicious. This week, I'll be sharing a recipe for one of Spain's most popular summer drinks, tinto de verano.

The name translates to "summer red wine," and it's sort of a simpler version of sangria. It's served all over Spain in the summertime and is popular in all sorts of venues, from restaurants to dive bars to family gatherings. One day, I'll finally make it to the land of my people and I'll drink tintos daily at various outdoor cafes and people watch and life will be wonderful. Just wait, it'll happen.

Luckily for me, its super easy to make and until I get to Spain, I can make tintos de verano at home. There are variations on the basic recipe, but all you really need is red wine, a lemon-lime soda of your choice, and maybe some lemon slices for garnish. Generally its made with a carbonated sweet lemonade (the La Casera brand is popular in Spain), but lemon Fanta, 7-Up and Sprite will do as well. I decided to use Jarritos limón flavored soda in mine because its pretty easy to find where I live and its absolutely delicious.



It's also a fantastic neon green color, which is a bonus.

What You'll Need:
Red wine, chilled
Carbonated lemonade or lemon-lime soda
1 Lemon, sliced for garnish
*Rum, optional for added kick

Mix equal parts red wine and carbonated lemonade. Garnish with lemon slices. Add a shot of rum if you're feeling fancy. That's it, you're done! Enjoy with just about anything.


We had it with a puff pastry pizza tonight and it was a perfect light summer meal.

I couldn't resist photographing some in one of my mother's vintage highball glasses:

Be sure to check out Annelih's Mango Pineapple Rum Punch and Rhiannon's Strawberry Mint Fizz.

I'm also participating in Wow Us Wednesdays!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© Little Blog on the Internet, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena