I'm just a girl, sitting in front of a computer, asking you to read this.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Apple (Pie) Galette!

Hello, hello! This post is a special one for me, because it's the start of a new tradition two of my friends and I are trying out! Two of my friend's from school have food blogs, and we've decided to do a weekly cooking/baking challenge, where we pick something to bake and then post our different interpretations of a dish!

You can find their fantastic recipes here: Rhiannon at Mini Betty and Annelih at Comfort in Cooking!

This week, we chose apple pie. Classic. Patriotic. American.

And being the lazy bum I am, I chose the easiest apple pie-esque recipe I could think of: an apple galette. It's like a pan-less apple pie. Rustic. Free-form. French (oops).



This week has been surprisingly hectic so I also used store bought crust because I wanted something easy, fast, and delicious. I've always thought that the Pillsbury pre-made crust tastes pretty good to be honest. One of these days I'll attempt to make my own crust, but not today.

Anyway, I adapted my recipe from this one over at Pinch My Salt. I did a few things differently (such as buying my own crust, womp womp), but overall this was a great recipe to use as home base, as it were.



So, ingredients:

Crust: Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust (super hard to make, I know)

Apple Filling:
4-6 apples, depending on size. Peeled, cored and sliced. I used Granny Smith, Cripps Pink, and Golden Delicious apples
1/4 cup sugar (heaping cup if you use more apples). You can also toss in some brown sugar (I didn't measure how much I added, it was about 2 tablespoons I think)
1 heaping tablespoon flour
Cinnamon and nutmeg to personal taste (I was very generous with the cinnamon because I am utterly addicted to it)

1. Pre-heat oven to 400F. Next, take the pie crusts out of the fridge to warm up a little bit. I only used one of the pie crusts to make the actual galette, then I used a star-shaped cookie cutter to put a few stars on the final product right before baking.

2. Peel and core the apples, and place the slices in a medium-sized bowl. Once you've got enough (I cut up 5 large apples and still had some leftover, but I was a little worried about over-stuffing the galette. I probably could've added a little bit more. As it is, we'll have apple crumble tomorrow night!)

3. Add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour to the apple slices and mix them together. If you want, you could try a few other spices. I was going to add some ginger but I chickened out at the last minute.

4. Roll out the pie crust on a large baking sheet covered in parchment paper. I decided to use a rolling pin and thin out the pie crust a little bit more to get a slightly larger galette. Pour the apple mixture into the middle of the pie crust, leaving enough of the pie crust uncovered so that you can fold the edges of the pastry dough over the apples. Leave a little open space in the middle of the pastry, so that the apples aren't completely covered.

5. Pinch closed any holes that might've occurred when folding the the outside edges over the apples. Or, if you love kitschy looking desserts like I do, cut out various shapes from the second pie crust and press them onto the top of the galette. Totally bandaged up a few holes that way. Also, my way of making my dessert a little more 4th of July-ish.




Right before baking, I brushed on an egg wash of 1 egg, a little water, and confectioners sugar onto the pie crust to give it a nice sheen. That part is optional, though.

6. Bake for 35 minutes, and then voila! You've got a star-spangled apple pie galette.



Don't forget to check out Rhiannon and Annelih's delicious apple pie recipes! Up next week, we'll be tackling: homemade bread. I'm so pumped.

2 comments:

© Little Blog on the Internet, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena